You can notify individual administrators about system status through email, or notify a group of people using an alias email address. If you have configured DNS resolution on your network, the E-mail relay configuration function is not required. If you did not configure the settings on the DNS Resolver section, you must enter a static IP address of the target system in the Relay Name/IP Address field. The appliance sends e-mail to administrators when certain events occur. This functionality supports both IPv4 and IPv6 networks. Here is a list of events that trigger e-mail notifications:
- Changes to link status on ports and online/offline replication status
- Events that generate traps, except for upgrade failures (ibUpgradeFailure). For a list of events, see Infoblox MIBs.
The appliance attempts to send the email notification once after an event. It does not try to send the notification again, if the first attempt fails. Infoblox recommends that you use the Test email settings button to test the email settings and to verify that the recipient received the notification.
You can define the email settings at the Grid and member levels.
To notify an administrator of an independent appliance or a Grid:
- From the Grid tab, select the Grid Manager tab, and then select Grid Properties -> Edit from the Toolbar.
- In Grid Properties Editor, select the Email tab, and then complete the following:
- Enable Email Notification: Select this for NIOS to send email notifications.
- Select the Use SMTP over TLS check box if you want NIOS to support SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) authentication over TLS authentication. NIOS authenticates against the SMPT server using the user name you specify in the From Email Address field. If the authentication is successful, NIOS sends an email message to the address you specify in the To Email Address field. If you select the Use SMTP over TLS check box, you must also select the Use Authentication check box and enter the password of the From Email Address server in the Password field.
- From Email Address: Enter the email address from which to send email notifications. If the field is blank, the member host name is used by default. For example, no-reply@member_host_name
- If you select the Use Authentication check box, then NIOS supports SMTP authentication and authenticates against the SMTP server using the user name specified in the From Email Address and Password fields. After a successful SMTP authentication, NIOS sends an email to the address you specify in the To Email Address field. NIOS uses 25 and 465 as port numbers for SSL authentication. If you do not select the Use Authentication check box, NIOS sends an email message without performing any authentication. If you select this check box, then you must enter a value in the From Email Address field.
- Password: Enter the password of the email server of the From Email Address.
- To Email Address: Enter the email address of the administrator. Use an email alias to notify multiple people.
- Use SMTP Relay: Select this if the NIOS appliance must send email to an intermediary SMTP server that relays it to the SMTP server responsible for the domain name specified in the email address. Some SMTP servers only accept email from certain other SMTP servers and might not allow email from the NIOS appliance. In this case, specify the DNS name or IP address of a different SMTP server that does accept email from the NIOS appliance and that will then relay it to the SMTP server that can deliver it to its destination.
Clear this if it is unnecessary to use an email relay server.
- SMTP Relay Name or Address: If you have configured DNS resolution, enter the DNS name of the relay server. If DNS resolution is not configured, enter the IP address of the relay server.
- Port Number: If you selected the Use SMTP over TLS check box, enter either 587 or 2525 as the port number. If you selected only the Use Authentication check box, enter either 25 or 465 as the port number. The default port number is 25.
- Optionally, click Test email settings to confirm this feature is operating properly.
- Save the configuration and click Restart if it appears at the top of the screen.
To define email settings for a member:
- From the Grid tab, select the Grid Manager tab -> member check box, and then select the Edit icon.
- In the Grid Member Properties editor, select the Email tab, and then click Override to override Grid-level settings.
- Complete the email configuration as described in Grid Level.