You can perform the following operations on the blacklist feature:
- Add blacklist rulesets, as described in Adding a Blacklist Ruleset.
- Create one or more CSV files that contain the rules for each ruleset and import the files to the Grid. For information about importing CSV files, see Importing and Exporting Data using CSV Import.
- Enable blacklisting, as described in Enabling Blacklisting.
Adding a Blacklist Ruleset
To add the name of a blacklist ruleset:
- From the Data Management tab -> DNS tab -> Blacklist Rulesets tab, click the Add icon.
- In the Blacklist wizard, complete the following:
- Name: Enter a name for the ruleset.
- Comment: You can enter additional information.
- Disable: You can disable this ruleset for use later on. The appliance ignores disabled rulesets.
- Save the configuration and click Restart if it appears at the top of the screen. You can then use the CSV Import feature to import the rules for each ruleset.
Managing Blacklist Rulesets
To view rulesets, navigate to the Data Management tab -> DNS tab -> Blacklist Rulesets tab. The panel lists the configured rulesets and their associated comments. You can also display the Disabled column which indicates which rulesets are disabled. From this panel, you can do the following:
- Add more rulesets, as described in the preceding section, Adding a Blacklist Ruleset.
- Edit a ruleset, by clicking its check box and clicking the Edit icon. You can set the following in the Blacklist Ruleset editor:
- In the General Basic tab, you can change entries in any of the fields.
- In the Permissions tab, you can set admin permissions for the ruleset.
- Delete a ruleset, by clicking its check box and clicking the Delete icon.
- View the rules that were imported in each ruleset by selecting it. For each rule, the panel displays the following:
- Domain name
- The action of the recursive DNS member when the domain name in a query matches the domain name in the rule.
To delete or edit rules in a ruleset, you must delete the ruleset from this panel, edit the CSV file and re-import it.
Only DNS members with recursion enabled can support this feature. You can enable this feature at the Grid level and override it for a member or DNS view with recursion enabled.
You can also enable the DNS member to log queries that matched blacklist rules. The logs include the queried domain name, source IP address, the pattern of the matched rule, and the name of the corresponding ruleset.
To enable blacklisting:
- Grid: From the Data Management tab, select the DNS tab, expand the Toolbar and click Grid DNS Properties.
Member: From the Data Management tab, select the DNS tab and click the Members tab -> member check box -> Edit icon.
DNS View: From the Data Management tab, select the DNS tab and click the Zones tab -> dns_view check box -> Edit icon.
To override an inherited property, click Override next to it and complete the appropriate fields.
- If the Grid DNS Properties or Member DNS Properties editor is in basic mode, click Toggle Advanced Mode.
- Click Blacklist and complete the following:
Enable Domain Name Blacklist: Select this check box.
Blacklist Rulesets: To add a ruleset, click the Add icon. If there are multiple rulesets, select one from the Select Ruleset dialog box. Use the up and down arrows to move rulesets up and down in the list. The appliance applies rulesets in the order they are listed.
For blacklisted domain names,return: Select the action of the appliance when it receives a query for a record that matches a rule with an action of Redirect/Block.
If you selected This list of IP addresses, add an IP address to the Redirect to table by clicking the Add icon and entering the address. The addresses are listed in round robin fashion in the synthesized response of the DNS member. You can enter up to 12 IP addresses.
Blacklist TTL: Specify how long the DNS client caches the A record with the redirected IP address.
Log queries for blacklisted domain names: Select this option to enable the appliance to log queries for blacklisted domain names, including the source IP address of the query.
- Save the configuration and click Restart if it appears at the top of the screen.