You can configure a NIOS virtual appliance as a single Grid member, or two NIOS virtual appliances as a NIOS virtual HA Grid member. To configure a NIOS virtual HA Grid member, deploy two NIOS virtual appliances and define the network settings for each node. Connect to the Grid Master and specify the two NIOS virtual appliances as nodes in the HA pair. The procedure is the same as joining two physical appliances as an HA pair. You must configure a Grid Master and set up the Grid before you join Grid members. For information, see Setting Up a Grid.
To configure a NIOS virtual appliance as a Grid member:
- Deploy the NIOS virtual appliance, as described in About Infoblox Grids.
- Define the NIOS virtual appliance on the Grid Master, as described in Provisioning NIOS Virtual Members on the Grid Master.
Provisioning NIOS Virtual Members on the Grid Master
Before you configure the individual appliances that you want to add to the Grid, you must first define them on the Grid Master, as follows:
- Log in to the Grid Master.
- From the Grid tab, select the Grid Manager tab -> Members tab, and then click Add -> Add Grid Member from the Toolbar.
- In the Add Grid Member wizard, enter the following and click Next:
- Member Type: Select Virtual NIOS.
- Host Name: Type the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) of the NIOS virtual single or HA appliance that you want to add to the Grid.
- Time Zone: If the NIOS virtual Grid member is in a different time zone from the Grid, click Override and select a time zone.
- Comment: Enter useful information about the NIOS virtual appliance.
- Enter the following information about the member that you want to add to the Grid and click Next: For a single Grid Member:
- Standalone Member: Select this option.
- Address: Type the IP address of the NIOS virtual Grid member.
- Subnet Mask: Choose the netmask.
- Gateway: Type the IP address of the default gateway of the NIOS virtual Grid member.
- Port Settings: The default is Automatic. You cannot change port settings for NIOS virtual appliances. For an HA Grid member:
- High Availability Pair: Select this option.
- Virtual Router ID: Enter a unique VRID number—from 1 to 255—for the local subnet.
- Required Ports and Addresses: Enter information about the following virtual interfaces: VIP, Node 1 HA and LAN ports, Node 2 HA and LAN ports. The VIP address and the IP addresses for all the ports must be in the same subnet. Enter the IP address of the gateway for the subnet on which the interfaces are set. This is the same for all interfaces. All fields are required. Note that you cannot change the port settings.
- Optionally, define extensible attributes. For information, refer to the Infoblox NIOS Documentation.
- Save the configuration and click Restart if it appears at the top of the screen.
Configuring and Joining NIOS Virtual Grid Members
After you successfully install the NIOS virtual appliance and start the NIOS virtual appliance, connect to the NIOS CLI and specify the initial settings. If you are configuring a NIOS virtual HA Grid member, you must complete the following steps for each virtual node in the HA pair.
- Connect to the Grid Master where you can add the NIOS virtual appliance to the Grid.
- From the vSphere Client, select the NIOS virtual instance.
- Select the Console tab.
- Click anywhere in the console screen to activate the console.
- When the Infoblox login prompt appears, log in with the default user name and password.
login: adminThe Infoblox prompt appears:
You must have valid licenses before you can configure the NIOS virtual appliance. To obtain permanent licenses, first use the show version command to obtain the serial number of the NIOS virtual appliance, and then visit the Infoblox Support web site at https://www.infoblox.com/support. Log in with the user ID and password you receive when you register your product online at: https://www.infoblox.com/support/customer/evaluation-and-registration.
If the NIOS virtual appliance does not have the Infoblox licenses required to run NIOS services and to join a Grid, you can use the set temp_license command to generate and install a temporary 60-day license. The appliance lists the available licenses and you select those you need.
Infoblox > set temp_license
1. DNSone (DNS, DHCP)
2. DNSone with Grid (DNS, DHCP, Grid)
3. Network Services for Voice (DHCP, Grid)
4. Add DNS Server license
5. Add DHCP Server license
6. Add Grid license
7. Add Microsoft management license
8. Add vNIOS license
9. Add IF-MAP Federation license
10.Add Multi-Grid Management license
11.Add Query Redirection license
12.Add Load Balancer license
Select license (1-12) or q to quit:
You must have both the Grid and NIOS virtual licenses for the NIOS virtual appliance to join a Grid.
- Set the network settings and join the NIOS virtual appliance to the Grid. Use the CLI command set network to configure the network settings and specify the Grid.
Infoblox > set network
NOTICE: All HA configurations are performed from the GUI. This interface is used only to
configure a standalone node or to join a Grid.
Enter IP address: 10.1.1.11
Enter netmask: [Default: 255.255.255.0]: 255.255.255.0
Enter gateway address [Default: 10.1.1.1]: 10.1.1.1
Become Grid member? (y or n): y
Enter Grid Master VIP: 10.1.1.22
Enter Grid Shared Secret: L0ck37
Join Grid as member with attributes:
Join Grid Master VIP: 10.1.1.22
Grid Name: DaveyJones
Grid Shared Secret: L0ck37
WARNING: Joining a Grid will replace all the data on this node!
Is this correct? (y or n): y
Are you sure? (y or n): y
The network settings have been updated.
This page has no comments.