The Infoblox 2205 Series appliances mount into a standard 19" (48 cm) equipment rack. The appliances ship with accessory kits that contain the following: a pair of rack slide brackets and chassis slide rails, a pair of rack ears, eight (8) 10-32 screws, and eight (8) 8-32 screws. Infoblox also offers a four-post and an adjustable rail four-post rack mounting kits that you can order separately. To mount the appliances to an equipment rack, you also need a #2 screwdriver with a cross-headed tip.
You may rack mount Infoblox 2205 Series appliances in one of three ways:
- Two-post rack mount, as described in Two-Post Rack Mounting.
- Four-post rack mount, as described in Four-Post 600mm Rack Mounting.
- Adjustable rail four-post rack mount, as described in Adjustable Rail Four-Post Rack Mounting.
Rack Mounting Safety Requirements
The following space and airflow requirements are required for Infoblox 2205 Series system operation:
- Minimum clearance of 63.5 cm (25 in) in front of the rack
- Minimum clearance of 76.2cm (30 in) in the rear of the rack
- Minimum clearance of 121.9 cm (48 in) from the back of the rack to the back of another rack or row of racks
The Infoblox appliance draws air in through the front of the chassis and expels air through the rear. Adequate ventilation is required to allow ambient room air to enter the system chassis and to be expelled from the rear of the chassis.
Two-Post Rack Mounting
Infoblox provides a pair of rack mounting ears as part of the Accessory Kit for your appliance. For optimal physical stability of the appliance in a two-post installation, you use the provided ears to mount the appliance from its rear to the posts of the rack.
To mount the appliance to an equipment rack and secure it at the rear rack posts:
- Align the mounting holes on the rack ears with the lower front mounting holes on each side of the chassis.
- Attach a rack ear on each side of the chassis with two (2) 8-32 screws, as shown in Figure 5. Only one location on each side will perfectly match the screw holes on each rack ear:
Figure 5 Rack Ears for Two-Post Rack Mount
3. With one person on each side, lift the appliance and position it in the equipment rack.
4. Attach each rack ear to the equipment rack with two (2) 10-32 screws on each side.
Four-Post 600mm Rack Mounting
Caution: The Four-Post 600mm chassis rack rails kit provided with the Infoblox 2205 Series appliance provides only a limited range of travel. It does not extend through the entire depth of the equipment rack. Exercise caution when withdrawing the appliance from its position in the equipment rack.
For a four-post rack mount, you combine the bundled pair of rack ears with a pair of chassis rack rails providing up to 600mm depth in a four-post rack. The chassis rack rail assembly is bundled with the appliance at time of purchase. This kit also is provided as a field-replaceable unit. For information, see International AC Power Cords. The chassis rack rail kit is designed to allow one person to perform the physical installation of the rack rail kit and the appliance.
- Align the mounting holes on the rack ears with the front-most mounting holes on each side of the chassis.
- Attach the rack ears (provided as part of the Accessory Kit) to the front end of each side of the chassis with two (2) 8-32 screws, as shown in Figure 5.
- Slide the inner chassis slide rails out of the rack slide brackets, as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6 Chassis Slide Rail and Rack Slide Bracket
4. Align the mounting holes on the chassis slide rails with the rear-most mounting holes on each side of the chassis. Ensure that you place the chassis slide rails in the correct orientation. Otherwise, the mounting holes do not align properly.
5. Attach the chassis slide rails to each side of the chassis with two (2) 8-32 screws, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7 Chassis Slide Rail alignment with chassis (Four-Post mount)
6. Select a desired location and secure the rack slide brackets to the rear posts of the equipment rack with two (2) 10-32 screws on each side of the rack.
7. With one person on each side, lift the appliance and position it in front of the equipment rack.
8. Align the chassis slider rails on the appliance with the rack slide brackets on the posts of the equipment rack.
9. Slide the appliance into the rack slide brackets.
10. Secure the rack ears to the front rack posts with two (2) 10-32 screws on each side of the rack.
Adjustable Rail Four-Post Rack Mounting
Infoblox provides an adjustable four-post rail kit with 600mm to 900mm depth adjustment, designed to allow one person to perform physical installation of the rail kit and the appliance. This kit is provided as a field-replaceable unit; for information, see International AC Power Cords.
The adjustable rail kit is designed for tight vertical spaces on the interior of a four-post rack, allowing for appliance installation in restricted rack spaces, including 2U of available rack space. Figure 8 shows a rail assembly.
Figure 8 Sliding Rack Rail assembly
The adjustable rack rail kit includes the following items for installation:
- Eight (8) Flat-head beveled 8/32" screws that attach rail pieces to the appliance chassis
- Eight (8) Phillips-head 10/32" screws for affixing the rack rails to the four-post rack
The technician must provide four attachable cage nuts for adapting the square mounting holes on the rear posts of the four-post rack to accept the 10/32" screws.
To install the adjustable rail kit, do the following:
- Install the cage nuts in the rear rack posts in the desired location, as indicated in Figure 9:
Figure 9 Install cage nuts on the rear posts of the designated rack space
2. Fasten the catch tab of the rack rail on the front of the rack space designated for the appliance. Each rack rail (2) in the adjustable rail kit provides a metal catch tab on the front end of the rack rail. This catch tab fastens to a square mounting hole as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10 Catch tab fastens on front posts of designated space
3. Extend the rack rail assembly backwards, align the mounting holes on the chassis slide rails with the required cage nuts, and fasten the back end of the rack rail to the two cage nuts on the rear post of the designated space. As noted, the rack rail assembly has an extension range from the minimum of 600mm to a maximum of 900mm.
4. Perform Steps 2 and 3 for the second rack rail assembly.
5. Attach the chassis slide rails to each side of the chassis with three (3) flathead 8-32 screws, in the orientation shown in Figure 11.
Figure 11 Chassis slide rails Installation
6. Lift the appliance and position it in front of the equipment rack.
7. Align the chassis slide rails on the appliance with the rack rail assemblies on the posts of the equipment rack.
8. Slide the appliance into the rack rail assembly.
9. Secure the rack ears to the rack with three (3) 10-32 screws on each side of the rack.
This page has no comments.